Sunday, February 20, 2011

Air Guitarist :p

If the last post didn't make you giggle in some way shape or form then this one is probably going to have the same effect on you. As I've been doing this air drumming thing now for a couple weeks I've been thinking "man, it would be awesome if I had someone to pretend to play air guitar with me. Then I could have an air band."

So I shot out a few texts to see if anyone was interested. A friend of mine Andrew Wheeler has agreed to learn the songs and perform with me. He doesn't have a music background that I'm aware of but that's not really important for the performance. I just need someone that's willing to go out on stage with me and have a shit ton of fun.

This whole air performance idea actually reminds me a lot about what I enjoy in music. I started playing drums around eight years ago towards the end of middle school. I picked up the drums because I wanted to have as much fun as possible. Drums just seemed like the most intuitive instrument to pick up and start learning. Because the tones on a drum kit are so specific, you can learn the drums by just listening to other drummers. Unlike other instruments which can feel daunting at first due to the apparent number of notes. Yes, you can still learn melodies by ear, but generally speaking there are 12 tones to try and find a melody within and that's not considering moving between octaves.

The performance might not be the most amazing thing in the world to watch but it's a lot of fun to perform. To me, music should be a fun or enjoyable experience. The experience might be subjective and not enjoyable for everyone but that should be common sense. At this point I would like to challenge any readers to post their opinions on what music is. I don't expect to get any responses but if I do I promise I won't comment on your opinion. Feel free to be as specific or as non specific as you want. If you like lyrics, write it. Are you a man of melody? Go for it. Do you like middle eastern folk jazz fusion when applied to heavy syncopations and fast tempos? Cause if you do, now would be the time to share it with us :p

No comments:

Post a Comment